Monday, November 19, 2012

My Vegan Mondays

I did it. I got through the day all-vegan and without any sweets. A particularly worthy accomplishment seeing as I've had something baked, gooey, chocolaty or otherwise decadent and unnecessary every day since getting stranded in the Caribbean. 

There's been birthday cake and gifts of baked goods; the chocolate show, plus my chocolate loot from Grenada. I was on a film shoot last week, where I annihilated the craft services table, eating cookies, muffins, M&Ms, pastries, brownies and chocolate-covered god knows what, just because it was there. Ditto for my hotel mini-bar. This past weekend, after a family visit that included baked French toast, waffles with Nutella, homemade apple pie, red velvet-cheesecake, plus malt balls and Buffalo's signature sweet, sponge candy, my mom gave me a one-pound of Twizzlers for good measure. And then there were the three courses of dessert that topped off my 15-course (!) birthday dinner at Eleven Madison Park (it totally lives up to the hype).

In other words, unless I want my 40s to be my chubbiest decade ever, I need to lay off the sweets. And I fully intend to do so, starting today. With the exception of two days (Thanksgiving, bien sur, and an upcoming Breakfast Club at the Four Seasons), I'm not having any for the next two weeks. So, yes, today's highlights included some steamed veggies, almonds and fruit.

And since I haven't been able to keep up at my blog lately, I'll share a few completely random bits.

• I watched Saint Elmo's Fire on the flight home from LA. Awesome.
There are only 35 days until Christmas. Have you started shopping yet?
I miss 40-hour work weeks, regular yoga, my friends in San Francisco, and biking around Paris, but not necessarily in that particular order.
Never underestimate the power of a hand-written letter. 
It's been too long since I've karaoked. 
I want to change my clothes, my hair, my face!
Blood, Bones & Butter, Gabrielle Hamilton's memoir, is something else that lives up to the hype.
I envy friends who can make good cocktails and good dinners.
I haven't smelled the smell of dry, fallen leaves enough this season.
I'm excited for pumpkin pie this Thursday.   
Don't forget there's still money, time and blood to be donated after Hurricane Sandy.
 

1 comment:

  1. Funny, just before I read this I was lecturing myself on how it's important to have stronger willpower, to avoid the sweets and scale back the quantity of bread I eat (it's processed like sugar at some point!) and try to be healthier because I'll be HAPPIER and then promptly caved and took a cereal bar that had sugar. If you can maintain this sugar abstinence, with important exceptions of course, I should be able to as well. Solidarity!

    On another note - glad to hear you enjoyed 'Blood, Bones & Butter', it's been on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete