Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cue, sound

One of the things I love about summer is having the windows open. Beyond the sunlight and breeze coming in, I like hearing my neighbors’ activities: the clanking of dishes as dinner is being prepared; the phone ringing (unmistakably, a landline); the piano being played (oui, people still play the piano!); little kids skateboarding down on the street and laughing. The way these sounds are soft and echo-y is so romantic and evocative, it makes me feel like I’m living in a movie.

6 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean.. even the police sirens are different :)
    I can hear the church bells ringing in the evenings, from the Our Lady of Pilar church .. beautiful ..

    I just wish there were more of those sounds and less car/horn sounds..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the exact thing that I think about when I'm in my room too! :) My favorite sound that comes in from the windows is of birds chirping-so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the same exact thing, sometimes you even hear soft music, and I know if my neighbors ever listen out their window, that they would hear me playing piano, so of course people still play!

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the minus side, you can also hear your neighbor's loud TV, someone clearing his throat over and over, a toddler having a temper tantrum, well, enough said...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sneeze! I just heard a sneeze!

    What would send me over the moon is hearing some Chet Baker.

    I know what you mean, Anon. But coming through the warm summer air, even TV sounds oddly romantic - especially the laugh tracks of sitcoms.

    (I am even trying to tell myself that the downstairs neighbor's baby crying is sort of sweet...)

    ReplyDelete