Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Oops, I did it again

My second week at the office, I managed to walk in what I thought was the direction of the hotel for 45 minutes, only to wind up beneath the Arc de Triomphe, like a human boomerang. Now that I’m in my apartment, in a different part of town, I’m proving again just how bad my sense of direction is.

I set out for work quite confidently: I had to make my way in a southwestward direction towards the Place de la Concorde, where I could then connect with the start of the Champs-Elysée. I was walking, walking, walking when I suddenly saw that I was in the 9th arrondisement (the street signs tell you which arrondisement you’re in). The 9th?? But the 9th is north of where I started… there’s no way I walked in the exact opposite direction that I wanted?!

But that’s exactly what I did. I still have no idea how I managed to go 180 degrees in the opposite direction, but when I looked at the map, there was no denying it. I was shocked by my abysmal navigating.

No comments:

Post a Comment